Saturday, May 2, 2009

Warning: Wal-Mart makes you stupid

Saturday, April 25, 2009
When people travel to Canada, it’s usually a big deal. They have an entire itinerary set up, reservations made and plans organized. For me, going to Canada is only a short drive. I drove up to Lethbridge, Alberta. It only takes about an hour and a half, one-way. So, it’s really not that big of a deal. BUT, I was kinda excited to go back to Canada for the first time this year. Most people don’t get to say that they go to Canada every year, for groceries, a movie or dinner. Kinda special.
Unfortunately, the trip to Lethbridge meant going to Wal-Mart. It’s the one place that has (somewhat) cheap prices for household items like bath mats, swiffers, and coolers. I came to a realization that no matter where you visit a Wal-Mart, everyone looses their mind when they go there! It seemed like I was the only one who was paying attention to where they were going. I’m not sure if it was a function of the weekend, or if it was just the Canadians? Every isle I went down had two or three people blocking the isle…and they didn’t rush to move. I had one group block the isle for almost a minute. They were testing free food samples from a gentleman. There was one older woman in a mechanical shopping car thingy, one mid-aged woman and her husband. They all three blocked the isle and I stopped my cart, stood there, and made eye contact….to no avail. Eventually, the husband mentioned something like: “we better move on over.”
Minus the crazy shoppers, it was a good trip. The sun was shinning and I had just added a few new artists to my iPod. I rocked out to Van Morrison, Blues Traveler, Radiohead, Prince and Johnny Cash. Now if that isn’t a broad spectrum, I don’t know what is! The best part is traveling back south. The view is Glacier’s mountains! It was breathtaking! Who knows what’s on the agenda for tonight, but I’m enjoying the weekend so far!

Weather: 18 degrees F in the a.m. Cloudy & calm
40’s Partly sunny…some snow flakes in the area, but not much.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's just a Wal-Mart thing. However, this is a real conversation I had with Canadians recently:
    "Is there an RV park in the park?"
    "Well, we have a campground, but there aren't hookups, if that's something you're looking for."
    "Can we stay there overnight?"

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!