Friday, May 8, 2009

The Landslide

Friday, May 08, 2009

I always like listening to Stevie Nicks belt out the lyrics to “Landslide.”



As I sit at my computer this evening, with a beer at my side and the sun setting low, I start to think about some of the lyrics. One that jumped out at me, though briefly, was: “I’m getting older, too.” I know I’m not really that old, a mere 27 years old, but it kinda hit me that I was in fact getting older—I’m almost 30. I remember when both of my brothers turned 30. One of my brothers is 5 years older than me, and the other is 3 years older. It didn’t seem like a big deal when that happened. So, why should it feel like a big deal for me?


Either way, I love Landslide and it’s lyrics. I don’t know what it is, but it totally makes sense to me. I’m adding the lyrics here to share with you.



Landslide by Stevie Nicks


I took my love, I took it down
I Climbed a mountain and I turned around
And I saw my reflection in the snow covered hills
Till the landslide brought me down

Oh, mirror in the sky, what is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?
Mmm, mmm, I don’t know

Mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm

Well, I've been afraid of changing
'Cause I've built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Children get older and I'm getting older too

I've been afraid of changing
'Cause I've built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Even children get older and I'm getting older too
Oh, I'm getting older too

Awh, take this love, take it down
Awh, climb a mountain and turn around
And if you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well, the landslide bring it down

And if you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well, the landslide bring it down
Oh, the landslide bring it down


I also want you to know that I just learned one of the lines (that I was getting wrong all along): “But time makes you bolder.” I think this added a new respect for the song. I really believe this line.


I am a bit confused though. What does it mean when it says: “Children get older and I’m getting older too.” I know she dedicates this to her dad, so I’m guessing she is talking about herself… “children getting older,” …but then you look at the next phrase and its: “I’m getting older too.” ---So who is the children? I thought it was her! Am I confusing you?


Anywho, I really relate to the lyrics because it is talking about climbing a mountain and turning around…and seeing your reflection in the snow covered hills.


I’ve been there. And it feels good. To climb a mountain, whether figuratively or literally, is a feat in itself. And that challenge is what draws me back to Glacier each year. The “unfinished business” of climbing mountains. Whether it is mountains of rock or the mountains of a challenge in life. I love it. I decided that this year my reason for being at Glacier is this:


“I want a challenge. I want to persevere and succeed.”


Ps. My big boss used to play this song at the end of his evening slide show presentations in Glacier in the 70’s. Great minds think alike.


Pss. I also really love Silver Springs, but that’s another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!